Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki FatehA man called Kalu once came before Satguru Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaj and asked guru sahib for the definition of a holy man.
Guru Sahib said "Recognize him as holy in whom are to be found friend ship, sympathy, pleasure at the welfare of others, and dislike of evil company.
- In the first place, the intentions of holy men are pure.
- Secondly, they are pleased on hearing the praises of others.
- Thirdly, holy men serve the virtuous.
- Fourthly, they honour those who can impart to them learning and good counsel.
- Fifthly, as there is a periodical craving for food or intoxicants, so they feel a craving for the Guru's word and for divine knowledge.
- Sixthly, they love their wives, and renounce other women.
- Seventhly, they avoid subjects from which quarrels may arise.
- Eighthly, they serve those who are superior to themselves in devotion.
- Ninthly, even if strong, they are not arrogant, and trample not on others.
- Tenthly, they abandon the society of the evil, and only associate with the holy."
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh